October 2020 Gwern.net newsletter with links on AI scaling, Euclid; further site reorganization & improvement.
October 2020’s Gwern.net newsletter is now out; previous, September 2020 (archives). This is a collation of links and summary of major changes, overlapping with my Changelog; brought to you by my donors on Patreon.
- more Gwern.net fixes: line-breaking on slashes, hyphenation & justified text on Chrome desktop browsers using Edward Kmett’s
hyphenationat compile-time; width-full mobile images; rewrote GoodReads conversion for much more readable book review page; browsable directories; popup annotations now render more like body
- compiled all movie & anime reviews
- contradictory median/lifespan figures
- duplicate image
- small sample
- doses of C60 small enough that the direct antioxidant activity can’t be responsible
- bizarre intervention, whose justifying cites were not published when experiment started
- the C60 was administered for brief period (‘imagine taking a supplement only during your 40s and doubling your lifespan’)
- the massive life extension observed in the olive-oil-only rats—not doubling, but still implausible